About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Thursday, May 26, 2016

Culmination of Part One: The First Draft of the Dream Book (1 of 2)

The Dream Book feels a little "Oprah Scrapbooky," but here is the first draft (you will need to click and follow the link), in which I collate and assemble what I have produced so far in this project, working through Susan Robison's Peak Performing Professor.  I need to work through the subpages in each Vision section yet (as of May 27, as I type this.)

Here is what Robison has to say about Dream Books:
Now you need a way to manage all of your goals so let?s put together your Dream Book. (About 1/6 of participants in my audiences prefer a Dream Wall in which they park all of their goals. All of the following suggestions can be translated from books and walls into electronic forms.)
You need the following equipment:
  • 8 ½ x 11 three ring notebook;
  • several sheets each of 6-8 colors of 8 ½ x 11 copy paper and several pages of plain white paper;
  • (optional) notebook dividers;
  • (optional) plastic sleeves for overhead transparencies.
Or poster board for your wall, enough to hold many sticky notes.
Follow these steps:
  1. Three hole punch the white and colored paper and put the white paper into the front of the binder in this order:Page 1 - Purpose statement in large font - maybe in script
    Page 2 - Mission statement
    Page 3 - Table of Contents. Use the 6-8 Vision statements as chapter headings. You can write or type these.
    Here is the beginning of Sasha?s table of contents:
    Chapter 1 - Home: My home is clean, organized and aesthetically pleasing and supports me, my spirit, and my work.
    Chapter 2 - Hobbies: I learn, practice, and perform music with my flute in order to stay relaxed and refreshed for my work.
    Chapter 3 - Scholarly work: I develop creative ideas for research and submit three articles for peer reviewed journals a year, four conference presentations/poster sessions a year with my students, and author, edit, or co-author one book every five years.
  2. Add the colored paper.Following your table of contents insert the hole punched colored pages and organize them in the order of the chapter titles or Vision statements. Pages can be oriented portrait with the stickies facing you as you flip open a page, or lined up sideways into landscape so you can read them if you turn the notebook sideways. You can use section dividers or just punch holes in the colored sheets. For example if you use purple for your Vision statement, ?I stay in contact with my family and friends sharing joy, supporting each other, and connected around mutual activities? put several purple pages into the book and have separate pages for goals related to families, friends and your activities with them.
    Your Home section will be on different colored paper with a section for each room or a section for Maintenance, one for Redecorating, etc. There may be some logical way to group the goals perhaps by subcategories. For example, in the Friends and Family section, there might be a page of goals related to each family unit or perhaps to each person. You might have a separate page for each friend.
    Sasha used pink pages for the ?teaching? category represented by her vision statement: ?My classes are well-prepared, interesting, creative, and collegial in their atmosphere.? On these pages she parked all of her goals related to teaching. She had a page for goals for developing interesting material, one for creating learning activities, and another for promoting a collegial class atmosphere through warm-up and team building activities.


No comments:

Post a Comment