About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Thursday, May 12, 2016

Initial Diagnostics: Mathematizing My Satisfaction

So, before I complete the narrative self-assessment (because the bits about my personal happiness will be complicated), let me share the quantitative self-assessment.

The book asks me to rate my productivity from 1-6.
This is a tough one.  I'm way more productive than average in my college and profession, but I'm not entirely sure that's for healthy reasons.  But it doesn't ask whether I am sublimating other issues by being a successful researcher, writer, and administrator.  I will call it "5."

Then, the book asks me to rate my professional satisfaction from 1-6.
Until recently, I would have thought "6."  And I have weathered a lot, professionally -- but I wouldn't be doing this book if things were entirely satisfactory, right?  This year forced some rethinking.  "4."

Then, the book asks me to rate my personal satisfaction from 1-6.
Again, I wouldn't be doing this book if things were entirely satisfactory, right?  "4."

Then, the book asks me to rate my:
  • Power Subscale, connecting “motivation” to “meaning and purpose”
  • Align Subscale, connecting “activities, projects and tasks with power and purpose”
  • Connect Subscale, about connections for “mutual support and benefit"
  • Energize Subscale, about “self-care and wellness”


My quantitative ratings, based on a battery of thirty questions:
209 overall, average score 7 — “I can benefit from this book.”  Whew.  I guess ordering it from ILL was worthwhile.
  • Power Subscale: 36 of 50  (72%)
  • Align Subscale: 28 of 50 (56%)  -- This is why I am using this book.
  • Connect Subscale: 34 of 40 (85%) -- This is why I should write a book about networking in academic communities.
  • Energize Subscale: 24 of 30  (80%) -- Six months ago, this number would have been so much lower.
So my need for this book is affirmed by the author (wink) -- or, the problems I intuit in my life and career are converted into numbers.  

This section of Chapter Two isn't to my taste, but it might be to yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment