About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Thursday, May 26, 2016

Establishing the Pyramid of Power: The Vision Statement (Part Two) and Goals

So, I am working from the last post toward four statements of formal Vision and Goals.

Professional Vision:
To be a member of a profession that is open to alternative voices in writing, research, teaching, and community service, a profession made that way (in part) by virtue of my work in writing, research, teaching, and service.

Goals:  
Research 
  • To submit one scholarly work that crosses disciplinary and professional boundaries per year.  In 2016, I would like that project to be a piece on medicine and games with ME.
  • To complete the monograph project engaged with JWF with this Vision in mind.
  • To edit one scholarly collection every three years (a special issue, a forum,  an anthology) that integrates new genres and new voices.  To complete such projects begun with LH, BB, and LW.
  • To seek a sabbatical in 2017-2018 or 2018-2019 to allow me to pursue this work in a new way. 
Teaching
  • To always teach in a way that crosses disciplinary and professional boundaries.
Service
  • To only accept administrative responsibilities in my university and discipline that advance alternative voices.  
Writing in the Profession
  • To submit a minimum of four professional thinkpieces (for example, for Inside Higher Ed, for the Chronicle, for "middle state" online journals) a year, based in part on my experiences in research, teaching and service and my commitment to new voices.
  • To write no less that four times a week for my blogs (that will help establish my own voice in the profession).
Overall Goal in my Profession 
  • To recognize the powerful alchemy of this kind of intellectual intersection.  To recognize that connecting with other voices, other genres, other methodologies and perspectives creates opportunities.  To seize those opportunities as part of my professional vision, as a gift of serendipity and a blessing of being a tenured academic in the 21st century.


Community Vision:
To be a member of a community that is open to alternative voices in art and social justice, a community made that way (in part) by virtue of my work in art and social justice.

Goals:  
  • To volunteer for three years of every six years with a local non-profit agency that advances issues in art and social justice.
  • To not-volunteer for three years of every six, so that I can approach the work freshly and with enthusiasm. 
  • To see this experience as a source of reflection for writing.


Creative Vision:
To be part of a world where by trusting others with the real expression of myself in writing, I create opportunities for them to recognize themselves and to consider their own self-expression.

Goals:  
  • To write no less than five thoughtful, meditative Facebook posts a week.
  • To submit an opinion piece once monthly for the Budgeteer.
  • To submit a Saturday Essay four to six times a year for the website Perfect Duluth Day.
  • To submit a work of creative nonfiction to a literary outlet once a year (e.g. Normal School, Creative Nonfiction, Fourth Genre)
  • To ensure, always, that the story I tell is mine, no one else's -- I have no right to tell someone else's story.  Rather, in telling my story, I want to inspire others to tell theirs.


Personal Vision:
To cultivate a personality (intellectually and emotionally intelligent, trustworthy, skilled in conversation, versed in a number of topics) capable of sharing the experience of theater, film, music and life with trusted friends and loved ones.

Goals:
  • To continue regular journaling as a means of reflection on my life.
  • To continue reading outside my field as a means of enhancing my intellectual versatility.
  • To continue interacting with friends and loved ones in a way that enhances my skills in conversation, my emotional intelligence, and my ability to process life in a trustworthy way.
  • To recognize relationship dynamics that do not enhance my skills in conversation, my emotional intelligence, and my ability to process life in a trustworthy way and to work to transform those dynamics.
  • To develop the bravery or strength necessary to take the risks necessary to develop relationships unlike any I have had before.  


No comments:

Post a Comment