About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Saturday, May 14, 2016

Exercise 2.1: I entered the career of college teaching and research because…. and I now want to stay in the career of college teaching because…

Exercise 2.1:
I entered the career of college teaching and research because….
I was 22.  I wasn't entirely sure why I went to graduate school except:
1.  I was thoroughly disappointed by my taste of high school teaching.  I loved the students, but the other teachers were disconnected from the material, the students, or both.
2.  I was told by more than one faculty member in English at my undergraduate institution that the average GPA in the content area of English was 2.5 -- that I was "better" than an Education major.  I hated being told something like that, but I was (admittedly) frustrated by my Education classes.  This reaffirmed my desire for "something more."
3.  So, I went to graduate school, for the kind of colleagues (smart, engaged) I wanted in a teaching career.
I had no idea research was part of the gig in a professor, so that was not part of my choice.  I just knew I wanted to teach with the best possible colleagues.
I wasn't sure I liked research until, like, my second academic job. I intentionally avoided research-intensive jobs when I first went onto the market.  It wasn't until my second academic job that I realized that (a) being a good researcher makes me a better teacher and (b) I found writing rewarding.  "Research" (as a solitary library activity done to solve problems that only mattered to rarifed academics) wasn't all that thrilling to me, but writing -- the construction of arguments of use for readers -- that was rewarding.


I now want to stay in the career of college teaching because…
This career has the highest level of autonomy and security of any I can imagine short of independent wealth.  Every day, a significant portion of my work is self-directed.  (I am reading this book because I want that self-direction to be more effectively deployed.)
And I can use that autonomy to do good work for my students, for my community, and myself, through teaching, writing, and community work. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment