About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Saturday, May 21, 2016

2.2 (Part Two) Lifetime Achievement Award

Exercise 2.2 in The Peak Performing Professor asks me to talk about a lifetime achievement award.  If I got one, what would it be for?

Yesterday was such an exercise in dodging around real feelings by burying my thoughts in academic language. Today, I will simple and straight to the point, with the hope of coming back to this in an essay I might publish one day.

At my lifetime achievement award, or my funeral, since the way I tell this, there is a strangely eulogistic tone to it:

I want a room full of people assembled, and each of them should be able to say this thing: 
"I wanted to say something, I wanted to become something, and David played a part in making that possible." 
And I want to look down from the emptiness of death and say:  "And I was made better because you could say what you wanted to say, because you could become what you wanted to become."

No comments:

Post a Comment