About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Friday, May 13, 2016

Critical Discussion: Ego Depletion and the Peak Performing Professor

Critical Discussion:  Ego Depletion and the Peak Performing Professor

The Peak Performing Professor depends in part on research on “ego depletion,” a psychological construct that has recently been subject to intense criticism.  (See: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/cover_story/2016/03/ego_depletion_an_influential_theory_in_psychology_may_have_just_been_debunked.html)

So when Robison talks about “people [being unable to] push themselves to act disciplined even if they value such actions… less ability to match our actions to our true values and therefore to poorer performance on our jobs” (3), she is grounding her claims in research that has been called into question. 
That said, I am more than willing to say that, ego depletion as a psychological construct aside, when I am exhausted, I make choices that do not always align to my true values.  That seems fair and real and accurate to my experience.  

So I am trying to say:  the point remains valid, even if the grounding for the point must shift from the psychological literature to my own assent to my own experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment