About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Friday, June 10, 2016

Interlude: DISC Assessment (1 of 3)

So I took the DISC Self-Assessment, three times, by three different services.

Why?  Because it was created by the man who created Wonder Woman!
(See: https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/william-marston/)

I am still digesting my reports, but here is one page that I love.  It's advice for people who work with me:

Things to do to effectively communicate with David: • Ask for input regarding people and specific assignments. • Use the conversation to direct you back to the topic or issue at hand. • Be candid, open, and patient. • Be certain to remember to provide specific action steps and details for all involved. • Be accurate and realistic, don't over-inflate ideas or outcomes. • Allow time to verify the issues and potential outcomes. • If you say you're going to do something, do it.

Things to avoid to effectively communicate with David: • Don't rush the issues or the decision-making process. • Don't use unreliable evidence or testimonials. • Don't use someone else's opinions as evidence. • Don't be disorganized or sloppy. • Avoid being impersonal or judgmental. • Avoid being overly task-oriented. • Don't force others to agree quickly with your objectives and position. Provide some time to warm up to the ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment