About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Establishing the Pyramid of Power: The Vision Statement (Part One: Three Phone Calls)

The Next Chapter of the Peak Performing Professor asks me to think about my vision statement.  

Purpose, Mission, Vision -- OMG, these are the tools that, in admin speak, have driven some of the worst workshops and strategic planning exercises I can imagine.  But trust, right?  Trust the process.  I will give this a try.  It will take me two posts -- this first one is preliminary.

What does Susan Robison mean by "vision"?

Ian interview with Kim Pawlak, Robison talks about vision this way:
Vision StatementYour vision statement is the outcome of your mission. Here’s a device to get at your vision, she said: “The phone rings five years from now. You’ve been waiting a long time for this very special call. Who is it and what do you want them to ask you? Is it the Nobel Committee asking you to come to Stockholm to accept your award? Is it yet another publisher chasing you down, offering you millions of dollars to write a book? What kind of call is it that you have hoped for and worked for your whole life and it’s finally coming together?”

(Ring Ring Ring)

Hello?

Professor Beard, we are preparing a conference on rethinking graduate education in the 21st century.  We think that you have innovated in your research, your advising and teaching, and in your program administration and advocacy in ways that could not only model other undergraduate and terminal MA programs, but reshape doctoral education.  Would you be willing to address our organization this year?

I would love it.


(Ring Ring Ring)

Hello?

It's Friday night, David.  The DSSO is playing tonight, and your friends Gwen and Adam are performing, right?  I'd love to get dinner in Canal Park, we can catch up on the day, then walk to the DECC for the performance.  Afterward, we can get some drinks and talk about the music, which, if it moves us, will open the door to talking about the other things that have moved us in the week.

(From here, we play "choose your own adventure")

A.  I'd love to.  Where can I meet you?  
B.  I'd love to.  Let's meet after work at home, we can decide where we eat then.  I need a shower, anyway.
C.  I'd love to.  Let me get a babysitter for our children.

I understand that I cannot control whether someone else loves me as a partner, nor can I control whether or not children are part of my life.  
So while B and C are part of my heart, I focus on what I can control:  that I can be the kind of personality, intellectually and emotionally adept, with whom a diversity of others will want to share the experience of music and art and the experience of their lives.

(No Ringing)

Someone, somewhere, is reading something I wrote.  

As they read it, they lean in toward their companion and say:
1.  Honey, what do you think about this passage I am about to read to you?
2.  Honey, in this essay, I have found what I needed for my next project.
3.  Honey, this essay reminds me of something.  May I tell you about it?
4.  Honey, this essay is horseshit.  I want to tell you about it?
5.  Sass that hoopy David Beard?  There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.


I can't beat that last one.  More on this tomorrow -- converting these phone call stories to a vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment