About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Monday, June 13, 2016

Interlude: Robert Boice's Professors as Writers (Introduction)

I am taking a break from the intense reflective writing that has typified this blog for a look at a book I purchased at the Duluth Public Library book sale today.  I'll probably wander through this $1.50 find for the next few days.  Boice is also discussed by other bloggers (for example, Agraphia)

Boice's program to get professor writing includes four stages:
  • Establish momentum and ideas with unself-conscious techniques
  • Arrange external situations to ensure regular, productive writing
  • Manage self-control of cognition and emotions
  • Create social support, develop writing skills, and understand your audience
This all seems like good, common-sense advice.  But I imagine that it helps to have it articulated.  Very few doctoral programs train faculty in how to write, in how to self-identify as a writer.

I think that I have, myself, wasted vast amounts of time powering through writing tasks in lousy external (material and psychological) situations, for example.

Part of being a Peak Performing Professor includes writing, so this seems to fit the goal of this blog.  And this will get me out of my navel for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment