About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Monday, June 27, 2016

"Reduce decisions... by scheduling them on automatic pilot..."

At the end of Chapter 11, Robeson tells me to "Reduce decisions... by scheduling them on automatic pilot...  Habits reduce the need for willpower because they act like computer subroutines that run automatically in the background while the main program is doing taxing new work" (Bauermeister and Tierney, 2011).

This section is dependent on a book about Willpower, which is dependent, itself, upon the critiqued model of "ego depletion."


Still, you can see the value in the advice.  There are ways that I structure my life that does reduce stress.  There are other ways that could improve in that way.

What do you structure into your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment