About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Saturday, June 11, 2016

Interlude: DISC Assessments (2 of 3)

What do I look like when I complete the DISC Assessments?

DISC divides personalities into four basic dimensions, and then DISC seeks to assess the ways that the four dimensions interact.

What does DiSC stand for? What do the letters mean?

DDominance
Person places emphasis on accomplishing results, the bottom line, confidence
Behaviors
- Sees the big picture
- Can be blunt
- Accepts challenges
- Gets straight to the point
Learn more

IInfluence
Person places emphasis on influencing or persuading others, openness, relationships
Behaviors
- Shows enthusiasm
- Is optimistic
- Likes to collaborate
- Dislikes being ignored
Learn more

SSteadiness
Person places emphasis on cooperation, sincerity, dependability
Behaviors
- Doesn't like to be rushed
- Calm manner
- Calm approach
- Supportive actions
- Humility
Learn more

CConscientiousness
Person places emphasis on quality and accuracy, expertise, competency
Behaviors
- Enjoys independence
- Objective reasoning
- Wants the details
- Fears being wrong
Learn more

The short version of the test was unhelpful, except for one element:  its visual graph comparing "how I am in my self-image" and "how I behave when I believe others are watching" shows that my primary strategy is to tone myself down, to diminish, to minimize elements of my DISC personality.

 The bar graph on the right represents "David under a blanket," "David under erasure," "David toning it down in nearly every way" because (he believes) this make him more successful than behaving in the manner predicted by my "internal" style (represented in the chart on the left).  The only personality trait that remains "consistent" in my internal and external presentation is "Conscientiousness" --
Person places emphasis on quality and accuracy, expertise, competency  
Behaviors
- Enjoys independence
- Objective reasoning
- Wants the details
- Fears being wrong

From another site, I prefer this graph.  Makes me feel less like a person with four parts than that I have four dimensions to my single being.


These results also came from a larger battery of questions (from Anthony Robbins Coaching, www.tonyrobbins.com), so I suppose I place a little more trust in the results.  (The first assessment was based on 12 questions.)

If you'd like to compare the two "apples to apples," the similar chart is below.


The richer data and the richer interpretation of the interaction between the factors fascinates me.

My "S" score is so much higher than my C with the larger battery of tests.
Your score shows a very high score on the 'S' spectrum. The comments below highlight some of the traits specific to just your unique score.
• You possess an amazing ability to calm those people who are upset.
• You possess excellent listening skills – some of the best.
• You'realwayswillingtohelpoutinapressuresituation,evenif
you don't really want to.
• You are very patient in working with a wide variety of people.
• Increasing your sense of urgency could benefit your
performance significantly.
• You are seen as cool, calm, and collected on the outside (whether that is true on the inside or not). 
This feels true;  I sometimes wonder whether it's temperament or effort, though -- and then I remember how I high I score on the "introvert" dimension of the matrix (above) and it feels like the test has me right.  It is work for me, whether by temperament or not.

What does the matrix say about me?


The following statements are true to just your unique natural style:
  • You demonstrate a high degree of competence in your area of expertise.
  • You tend to be verbal and articulate about many different topics and issues.
  • You have a large knowledge-base and a continuing appetite to learn more.
  • You have the ability to self-manage much of your own organizational activity and workload.
  • You have the ability to handle people with patience, and demonstrate high technical competence in your area of expertise.
  • Tend to be more modest than egocentric, but you also have the ability to become assertive when
    necessary for emphasis or communication.
  • You place high expectations on yourself and others, and are able to help coach others into a stronger quality orientation.
  • Will be verbal if workload or areas of responsibility need partial delegation to other professionals on the team, otherwise, tendency may be to stay focused on the tasks at hand. 
The statements below are specific to your individual Adaptive style:
  • Brings a high degree of competence in product and process knowledge. Others on the team may seek you out to answer a detailed question for them.
  • You tend to judge others by objective standards, and want to be evaluated yourself by specific criteria as well.
  • Project decisions are made after careful consideration of all variables and inputs. This process may take a bit more time in the view of some others on the team, but the decision will be a quality outcome.
  • Extremely high sense of quality control and detail orientation in all you do for the team or
    organization.
  • You set high performance standards for yourself and others, and expect all to meet those standards.
  • On the job, there is a right way and a wrong way to complete all projects. Let's complete it the right way.
  • You appreciate an occasional word of reassurance from their supervisor or board, as long as it is sincere input.
I'm still synthesizing all of this (and thinking about the ways, as any good academic would, to critique the four dimensions of personality that the DISC provides) -- that will be post three of three in this interlude.

No comments:

Post a Comment