About this Blog


About this Blog

I'm in my forties, I've been an (assistant, then associate, now full) professor since 2002 -- for a third of my life.

And I'm in search of some renewal. So I'm working my way through Susan Robison's The Peak Performing Professor, a workbook for faculty to help them manage their time by managing their life -- by working to integrate the diverse activities of the faculty toward a purpose.

The results of my reflections will be posted here, along with a small number of (totally within fair-use) quotations from the book to help contextualize my reflections.

More info about the book can be found here: http://peakperformingprofessor.com/ppp/


Friday, July 15, 2016

Interlude: What is Joy in the Life of a Teacher-Scholar?

According to Snieder and Schneider, Joy "corresponds to a feeling of doing the right thing while thoroughly enjoying it;  it is the feeling of being in the right place, having meaningful relationships and making an impact, and being able to declare some positive control over how our lives shape us and shape others' (9).

They articulate that "rather than seeking joy in whatever the next success is, we find that joy has  to come first, and is actually the main ingredient in building a successful life" (9).

Nathan Johnson recommended this book, the Joy of Science, and I am enjoying it, especially because the differences between approaching these questions as a scientist and a humanist are valuable to me.

I'll be thinking about this passage over the weekend, but wanted to post to get thoughts from others before I leap in.

No comments:

Post a Comment